Thank goodness there is no seconds display! Can you imagine listening to
that clatter once/second?

It would be trivial to come up with an interface to a normal $5 quartz
clock movement circuit board that would drive the motors. That's what they
do in any clock. I would program a pic or even a PAL to divide by 60 for
the minutes. Divide by 60 again for the hours, and drive the second motor.
Set the time at the top of the hour, connect the battery, and go. Don't
over think it. Not every clock needs to be accurate to the second.

I have many quartz clock movements in the house that never need to be
corrected, except at the DST change. So they get corrected twice a year by
default.

Terry