On 02/03/2016 12:03 PM, 'Terry S' via neonixie-l wrote:
> Got it -- I should have read the description more carefully, I assumed it
> wasn't working due to lack of the broadcast time signal. So in reality, you
> are good to go. I still think WWVB is unnecessary on a 4 digit clock.

I have a bunch of flip panels from buses so a clock is in my future.
They are LOUD inside a quiet house.  What I'm thinking is 6 digit but
with a motion sensor that only activates the seconds when someone is
near.  Otherwise the seconds are blanked out and the HH:MM is shifted to
the center of the display.

In the bus display, each row is treated as a shift register while the
columns are treated as bits in a word,  A friend to whom I gave a panel
has figured out the driving scheme.

Even if GPS or WWVB wasn't strictly necessary, I'd have to have it just
to handle the switch to and from DST.  I finally got all the clocks in
my house changed out to WWVB clocks so now DST day is just another day.

> I don't trust Aliexpress, too many of the sellers are shady and there is no
> real buyer protection. If the seller accepts PayPal then maybe you have a
> shot. Otherwise you are just broadcasting your credit card all over China.

We've had very good luck with both express and Alibaba.  A few rules.

Never ever use a credit card.  Always paypal.  I loathe paypal but I
have an account just for them and dxexpress.com.

ALWAYS buy or negotiate samples before buying for effect.  Many of those
manufacturers have no idea what they're making.  They just cloned
something that looked cool.

IF you're buying for effect from an Alibaba vendor, ALWAYS use an escrow
service.  Hard lesson learned here.  They always want the full amount
paid up front.  The most we'll do is pay for the raw materials.  The
rest goes in escrow.

If you're having something manufactured, specify every single dimension,
detail and step.  The last round of extrusions we had made, we forgot to
specify deburring the drilled holes.  Just guess what we got!

In the escrow agreement, specify that they must ship several (usually 5)
pieces from the finished production for our inspection before we release
the money.  Of course, they can "cook the book" on the samples but
that's better than being blind-sided.  After the extrusion debacle (the
samples WERE deburred), we've started requiring a video of them picking
samples at random.

Yeah, they're a pain in the tutu but the cost saving is worth it.

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN