Great story, kinda scary.

I took a look at some serious kits, and the all have a disclaimer, that
mentions things like "The builder of this kit, is the creator, and has to
assemble and use the kit that it meets the VDE etc". It looks like the
person who assembles the kit, is the one that has the responsibility of
it.  I will now look more into this, and ask the authority if that really
possible.

Another thing is, if you buy an item in another country, and let it deliver
(so import) it too your country, can the seller be blamed that the item is
not meeting the buyers country laws? I' don't think so.

Here is a Off topic reference, one of my co-workers encountered.
He works as a road worker, and needed one of these blinky yellow lights on
top of his car. He bought one of a licenced automotive-store in Germany.
One day the police stopped him, and gave him a ticket, because this kind of
light was not allowed in switzerland. As he told them, he was buying it
from a licenced store and was not know, that it not meet swiss norms, they
told him, it doesn't matter, they can't be blamed, because HE imported it,
and he needs to check if the item is correct.

So i hope, it will be the same to other products, like a kit. So i could
make my kit to our local requirements.

We all know, most of the kit builders know what they doing, and won't run
to the police if they ever get shocked, because they touched a part they
shouldn't. But today, there are to many people who are just about the
money.... i think there was a famous example a few years ago, when someone
who burned his finger at a hot cup of coffee, made a lawsuit against a very
big fast food chain...