Transformers specifically designed for neon signs are perfect because they
are intentionally current-limited, and the exact voltage isn't critical.
 I've lit all sorts of neon tubes with my 5kV sign transformer.

I've had mine for 40+ years and never got shocked (only slight tingle). I
don't know if it's because I'm overly cautious, or because it's
current-limited. Considering all the items I've zapped/tested/abused/etc
over the years, I'm amazed this transformer still works.

NEVER use a microwave oven transformer; they are deadly because there is no
current-limiting, and their voltage is probably too low anyways.