I have done a 2X2 series/parallel and a 4 in series. I used mineral oil. There are better oils but I could get 5 gallon buckets of mineral oil from a local feed store.

You also usually need to add some current limiting.

A small Tesla coil won't hurt anything. :-0

Jonathan

On 5/13/2016 3:28 PM, gregebert wrote:

    > Plus, series/parallel 'em under oil for a VERY nasty  HV power
    supply.

[...]

Curious how many you've cascaded, and what kind of oil you use.
I've been tempted to build a Tesla coil for many years, but we live too close to an airport so I'm concerned about the RFI impact on comm & navigation .