I did nothing heroic.  I used the cheapest transistors I could find
(PolyPaks, John Meshna, etc.) and carbon comp resistors.  I used the
resistor values in the old "73 Magazine" article "Build a Giant Nixie
Clock" from the mid-1970s, and increased the HV power supply voltage until
it was "bright enough" (about 175V on my old Lafayette VOM).   The resistor
values may have changed with time, but I think they were initially 1-2ma
per segment.

I built three clocks with a total of 18 tubes.  So far, after 40+ years,
there have been zero tube failures.  The $20 I spent on spare tubes (at $1
each) has been a waste of money.

The tubes were multiplexed.  I found that the biggest problem is that the
tubes sing at the mux rate, and the volume increased with the drive
current. (Someone once suggested that the sound was coming from the power
supply, but this was way back in the old days and I only built linear power
supplies operating at the line frequency of 60 cps.)