Greg – my 1971 clock with Burroughs CK8754 nixie tubes ran 27/7/365 for over 35
years with no tube or digit failures.  It used 74141 drivers driven at ~170
volts by a rectified line voltage doubler circuit using recommended anode
resistors from the example circuits out of the Texas Instruments data book.
During the life of the clock, there were a couple failures of the caps in the
voltage doubler but no failures in the tubes or chips.  The clock was basic
with no steps to prevent cathode poisoning and the tubes were actually soldered
with wrapped wire around the pins.  The entire clock was point to point wiring.

While I can’t attest that the brightness was the same as in the beginning, the
display tubes were still perfectly viewable with full digit coverage and easily
visible in a room with windows.  In the early life of the tubes, I did note
that there were occasional blue arcs that occurred with reducing frequency as
the tubes “broke in”.  I think the arcing stopped sometime within the first
year.

I came to the conclusion that a well designed nixie, which had good seal
integrity, the right gases/doping and was operated within the specs could last
a good long time.