A solution to the inflexible socket-pins soldered to the PCB is to
custom-fit each tube. Assign a unique number to each tube and socket. Place
the pins onto the tube, then solder the pins to the PCB (almost like
soldering the tube in-place). Remove the tube, clip-off the extra leads on
the PCB.

The tube can be inserted almost effortlessly, and with far less force than
a conventional socket. My last clock has 18 sockets for IN-18's. "Only" 14
are actually populated, though. I found that even though each tube is
custom fitted to a particular location, it's fairly easy easy to
interchange them because the pins are manufactured with reasonable
consistency. Most IN-18 pins are soft and easily bent, so be extra careful
when handling, socketing, straightening, etc. Nevertheless, I do keep each
tube in it's assigned socket.

If you have a 3D printer, make a socket-cap to slip over the soldered pins.
It will provide some mechanical protection for the pins, and it makes
insertion of tubes much easier. It will have the same appearance as a real
socket.