Thansk for your thoughts, Greg. The final choice of processor is probably
going to be influnced more by software development (and learning curve)
that the hardware costs, given that I doubt I'll make even 50 of the
finished NDMM (as it will henceforth be known). I can crash about a bit in
Python, but the interpretted nature of that language gives me concerns over
speed.  The boot-time and seemingly easy ability to "trash the SD card" are
worries for me in an embedded product. I know nothing of FPGAs, so the
learning curve for me could easily be the most "expensive" part (even if it
was the neatest solution). Arduinos are everywhare, and I can probably
leverage some of my experience with PIC processors (some C, but mostly
assembler) in that direction. Dont actually need that much IO, just 3-4
serial channels and a few spare lines for keyboar scanning. What do the
group make of TEENSY processors?

Laurence