Sounds like a good excuse for a tube autopsy...

If you are indeed over-driving the current then you'll be sputtering
material off the cathode which after a while will have two effects. Firstly
there will be some gradual darkening of the tube as the material deposits
elsewhere. And secondly you'll see gross physical erosion of the cathode -
you can see a similar effect on dekatron cathodes where the glow has been
sitting stationary for a very long time (usually the zero cathode of the
tubes making up the higher order decades of a multi-tube counter). Given
that you describe a 'tink' noise, my guess is that the cathode has eroded
to the point where it physically broke, perhaps under the thermal stress of
being activated. Time for new tubes.

The Soviet datasheets only promise 1000 hour life for IN-9 - I can't find a
similar overall guaranteed life specification for IN-13. My experience is
that they will last much longer than that if not overdriven.

With regard to the current required to achieve full scale, yes there's
normally some cathode poisoning which needs to be burned off when you first
fire up the tubes (worse on IN-9 than IN-13), but then they should settle
down and operate at the specified sensitivity. The last centimetre or so of
the cathode is difficult to illuminate even in a well 'oiled' tube - they
lose linearity at the upper extreme. Best thing to do is not to worry about
trying to light up this bit.

Cheers,

Jon.