Alright,
I did a little investigation. Hopefully, someone can point out the "oh god,
you're overdriving them" problem...

Investigation steps:
1. Scope HV line (HV supply is TES 1364 module)
2. Multimeter on 220Ω shunt resistor to get I_control
3. Input AC Signal -- steady 10kHz, varous levels
4. Input AC Modulation signal -- 10kHz AM'd 100% depth, 1Hz
5. DC Signal Input -- remove Microcontroller and input DC to 100kΩ resistor
LPF before the voltage follower.

Results:
1. HV Line, no input signal: Mean = 143V, V_pp = 8V
2. HV Line, full scale input signal (1.8V PP 10kHz sine wave -- to front
end): Mean = 143V, Vpp = 9V
3. Measure control current full system, suing AC signal input:
    I_shunt, no signal = 1mA (micro is still here, did not scope micro, but
I suspect it was putting out a small nonzero PWM value)
    I_shunt, full scale = 11.5mA
4. Measure control current, DC injection to IN-13 driver:
Vin (V)   I_shunt (mA)    Col Len. (cm)
---------  ------------------    ------------------
0            0.045                0.5
1            2.41                  2.5
2            4.9                    5
4            9.4                    10
4.5         10.9                  11
5            11.4                  11
6            13.9                  11

I also measured the current through the cathode resistor (220k in series
with the non-control cathode to ground):

Vin(V)  I_cath (mA)
--------  ----------------
0          0.04
0.5       0.26
2          0.38
4.5       0.5

So what we see is that under normal operation, the tubes should never see
more than ~11mA, which is substantially higher than the expected max
current to get the full scale, and these tubes have seen a couple of hours
of burn in.

tubetester.com's translated datasheet
(http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/dat_arch/IN-13.pdf
-- scroll down) agrees with everyone here, that the max working current
*should* be ~5mA. I'll grant, my striking voltage is above the max. Taking
a closer look at voltages,

I see that the voltage between the anode and the indicating cathode when
the tube is at 0 scale is 111V. When I drive it to full scale, it rises to
139V. If I'm reading the aforementioned datashee correctly, the 0 scale
drop across the anode to indicating cathode should be at max 99V, so I'm
out of spec but not grossly so.

The only thing I can think to do is adjust the HVPS to be driving them at a
lower voltage (120V), but my recollection from when I breadboarded this is
that they do not strike reliably below about 140V.

Okay, so this has been a huge ramble, but if any of you have any insight
into this -- even if it only addresses a small part, it would be greatly
appreciated.