I'm well aware of the risks of data loss - that's why the group is backed
up multiple ways.

The main reason for using a Google integrated solution is convenience - the
hosting is there and so is access control - e.g. the library section is on
Google Drive but "knows" about Google Groups; the access rights granted in
neonixie-l automatically carry of to control access to the library section.

No disrespect, but anyone can go bust or withdraw a service, not just
Google. Bearing in mind that they've supported free groups pretty much
since they were founded, they're unlikely to go away any time soon.
However, even if they did, we have multiple mirrors...

Cheers

Nick