HI John,

I just saw this posting, so sorry for the delay. I have a two-digit B7971
clock that I built from a kit about 15 years ago. It runs directly off of
the 110V mains, so there is no switching supply involved here - just a
transformer, rectifier and some filter caps on the clock's power supply
board.

The clock displays the hour for one second, then the minute for another
second. Before the hour is shown again, the clock does a "flick-flack"
routine for another second. It makes two clockwise "rotations" by
sequentially lighting up each tube segment that is connected to the center
of each tube. There is a very annoying  a buzzing sound in sync with the
flick-flack that I could hear on 40M and 80M.

I have been lazy, and just put the clock in a room on the other side of the
house from where the ham equipment is kept. I have also improved my
grounding and antennas, so I no longer hear the clock.

Maybe some day, I'll chase down the clock's noise, or just try a toroid on
the clock's power cord (which is a long one - so I'm sure it acts as a
decent antenna), but for now, I don't think the clock is as much of a
problem as all of the cheap wall-wart supplies that power all of my
wonderful electronic gear - my house's noise level is about S4. This stuff
has all of the required stickers, but I think most of them mean absolutely
nothing. I believe the manufacturers just stick them on without thorough
testing, knowing that the FCC does not have the resources to do anything
about it. Anyway, I have a lot of other noise to sniff out before
diagnosing the clock.

Good luck. 73, Jim