I have used the B-7971 smart sockets to make clocks which are easy to build
and easy to program. I've used similar technology with other multi segment
displays and have developed a controller board to drive them to make a very
effective clock. No need for a dedicated board for the tubes (just six
small ones!) .
- Richard