I've successfully "repaired" four 7971s with shorted segments.  All were in
corners where diagonal segments overlapped at the ends.  Rough shipping can
cause this.  I've posted photos on this forum showing the before and after, as
well as the way I did it.  Others before me posted suggestions of how they did
the same thing and convinced me of why I should not give up on an otherwise
perfectly good tube.   Search the forum for photos and suggestions from several
posters.  If you can't find them, send me a note and I'll find my examples.
Jeff
-------- Original message --------From: Richard Scales
<rich...@scalesweb.co.uk> Date: 4/5/20  11:44 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: neonixie-l
<neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: B7971's on the
bay.... I am equally hooked. It wont help you much but I had success with
removing a short using the banging method - I would not have thought it
possible but it worked. I could actually see the change in position of the
cathode in question - a little geometry workout in advance ensured I was
applying potentially destructive forces in the right direction.Although late to
the party I now have all that I need and I find I can quite easily avoid
bidding ebay sales for them although I still look out - just in case!On Sunday,
5 April 2020 20:27:54 UTC+1, gregebert  wrote:The one-and-only "antenna"
version of the b7971 I had in my 8-tube clock failed as shorted segments after
2 years of usage. Not sure if others have seen reliability issues with a
particular tube style, but that's my experience. I only use direct-drive, and
the clock is well-protected from getting bumped-around so it's a real mystery
to me how the cathode segment slipped up-against it's neighbor. I dont have the
balls to put my tube at the end of a stick and whack it; Michail Wilson
published a photo and has had success. Photo makes me laugh and cry at the same
time....I got hooked on 7971's a few years ago, mainly because they are so
frigging HUGE. They lack the artistic beauty of a traditional nixie., but are
too versatile to be shunned.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/3135f9dd-ef75-4564-a2f5-2e6d21d2ad08%40googlegroups.com.