CAMAC and NIM are two entirely different animals.

NIM Crates are older, dating from soon after WWII.  Their backplane just provides power, though some custom and non-standard modules did transmit signals between modules through the backplane.

CAMAC crates are more modern, and provide power but there is also a data bus that connects all of the modules.  Each CAMAC crate usually has one controller with a microcomputer on the bus.  The controller addresses the cards and formats their output for transmission to the outside world.  They are an order of magnitude more complicated than typical NIM modules.

Dave