A few plugin-related questions for the group... Using 1.0.10. First, the
easy one. :)  According to the man page nessus-update-plugins(8), the -v
switch should only list the newly installed plugins - basically the
differences between the local plugins and the master-list of plugins on
the Nessus site. However, when I run "nessus-update-plugins -v" after all
my plugins are up-to-date, it still lists ~798 entries. For example, I can
verify that the zyxel_pwd.nasl plugin exists already on my system.
However, when I run "nessus-update-plugins -v" it lists the same plugin
again. How can I get a list of ONLY the new plugins?

Question two: I noticed that doing nessus-update-plugins calls the command
"/usr/bin/lynx -source http://www.nessus.org/nasl/all-1.0.x.tar.gz"; to
fetch them. Since it looks like it is grabbing the whole tarball each
time, this may explain question #1 above. Is this tarball
(all-1.0.x.tar.gz) updated daily with all the new plugins? If so, how to I
know which new plugins have been added since my last update (basically a
diff on the list of plugins)? If the "all-1.0.x.tar.gz" tarball is not
updated daily, what is the best method for getting the new plugins (and a
list of only the new plugins since the last update)?

Question three may be a bit trickier. I have Nessus server "Server," and
Nessus client "Client" (two physically seperate machines - both Linux). On
the Client, I ran the GTK client the first time to generate the .nessusrc
file. This file seems to contain a static list of all the plugins to use
(I selected "Enable All"). From that point on, I use the command line
client and point it at the GUI-created .nessusrc file for its config.
Here's the questions... when the Server's plugins are updated, how does
the command line client know about the new ones (since the list of plugins
to use seems to be statically coded in the .nessusrc file on the Client)?

There has to be some better way than manually running the GUI every day to
create a new .nessusrc file... Is there a syntax I can use in the
.nessusrc file that will enable *all* the plugins? Likewise, is there a
syntax I can use in the .nessusrc file to enable all the plugins of a
particular family?

Thanks! :)

-- 
~Jay



Reply via email to