On 23 Jun 2016, at 16:09, Simone Bordet <simone.bor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Chris Hegarty <chris.hega...@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>> What Pavel is trying to do with onClose is to adhere to the
>> spirit of the RFC, rather than supporting open-ended half-close semantics.
>
> Not sure there is a spirit to RFCs, just interpretations.
> I doubt the "spirit" of the RFC was to deny completely the send of
> messages in half closed state.
> If it was so, it would have probably been stated so clearly.
> Web*Socket* was born as a thin layer on top of sockets, so TCP, that
> is why I keep referring to that.
>
> I'm fine that mine interpretation is different from Pavel's, we're
> just discussing different interpretations here and try to come out
> with a good/common one.

After some further research it seems like this is a debatable point. Keeping
the Design Philosophy ( not spirit ) in mind, and erring on the side of caution,
it may be best to NOT impose a, possibly artificial, restriction on the Java
API.
So, in summary, I agree with your proposal around the handling of OnClose,
we should support half-close semantics.

-Chris.