On Wed, 11 May 2022 11:34:33 GMT, Michael McMahon <micha...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Hello Michael,
>> Most users will be using the `HttpClient.newBuilder()` to create the
>> builder, so this note about `UnsupportedOperationException` can be
>> confusing. However, for implementations (libraries?) which provide their
>> own implementation of the `java.net.http.HttpClient.Builder`, I think, this
>> note would be relevant. This approach is similar to what we already have on
>> `java.net.http.HttpClient.newWebSocketBuilder()` method.
>
> Sure, I just think when most developers read "The default implementation of
> this method throws UOE" they will think they can't use it without
> implementing something themselves. Library developers will figure it out
> anyway.

This is the standard wording that has been used throughout the JDK to document
the behavior of default methods on interfaces. Unless we receive different
feedback during the CSR review I'd suggest to leave it that way. The second
sentence makes it clear that our concrete implementations override that default
behavior.