On 7 March 2011 21:12, Zongjun <qizong...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried to use different ports other than 6161 (7161,9161,3456), and
> still got the "bind failed" error below.

You can ignore that error.

>                                            I was running at root.  So
> permission is not a problem.  And I was using a port that was not used at
> all.  Not sure why the [init_smux] gave the error.

The error is coming from the SMUX module, which is trying to open
the standard SMUX port (199).   If the standard agent is still running,
then this will already be using the SMUX port, so your second agent
cannot open it.  Hence the error message that you are seeing.

But that's not important here.  You can ignore this message.

>  But it did reports a request was received.
> /usr/sbin/snmpd -f -Le -C -c /tmp/snmpd.conf 6161
> [init_smux] bind failed: Permission denied
> NET-SNMP version 5.3.2.2
> Connection from UDP: [127.0.0.1]:52007
>
> []  snmpget -v 2c -c public  localhost:6161  snmpEngine.0
> SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB::snmpEngine.0 = No Such Object

Hmmm....
   I'm running out of ideas here.

What does walking the sysORTable show?