On 28 June 2011 20:28, Joan Landry <joan.lan...@overturenetworks.com> wrote:
> It fails if (ISENGINEKNOWN(secEngineID, *secEngineIDLen) == FALSE)
>
> Even though the engine id is correct (it is the engine id of the snmpd
> server).

Ah!  That might start to explain things

If you are working with unacknowledged SNMPv3 traps, then the authoritative
engine ID (as used in the PDU) is the engine ID of the *sender* (i.e. snmpd)
But with SNMPv3 _inform_ notifications, the authoritative engine ID is that
of the notification *receiver*  (i.e. snmptrapd)

> So it as if snmptrapd does not know its own engine id when processing an
> incoming inform packet.

But you've just said that it's using the engine ID of snmpd.
So things are *not* using it's  [snmptrapd's] own engine ID
(although they should be).

That's why I suggested removing the explicit engineID from the trapsess line,
to force snmpd to probe for it.

An alternative approach is to pick an engine ID, and specify this
explicitly for *both*
the trapsess line (in snmpd.conf) *and* the createUser line (in snmptrapd.conf).
That way, both sides of the conversation are using the same engine ID,
and things
should work OK.