Pall,

I've really enjoyed this thread, and I've been sitting here scratching my head trying to think how to express my ideas about it. The piece of yours that I've been looking at is 'Square with content flipping on two axes', which has got a q and a p opposite each other, and a d and a b opposite each other, inside a square, like this:

q p
d b

Every now and again they twitch slightly: and it's only when you read the code, and reflect on the title of the piece, that you realize they're changing places every few seconds, either left-to-right or up-to-down, and the slight twitch is the only outward sign of this, because their symmetry is precise enough for them to step into one another's positions almost invisibly, almost without a disturbance. Probably, it occurs to me, the piece would be even more perfect if the slight twitch could be eliminated: then there would be no outward sign at all of what was taking place, and the meaning and action of the piece would be entirely latent, entirely in the mind and understanding of the beholder.

It seems to me that what makes this piece work is that it's exploring the difference between what we see on screen and what's actually happening inside or behind that on-screen image, in terms of code and its execution. Ordinarily when you read a piece of text on a screen you just read the text, as if it were print on paper; you don't think about the digital process which puts it in front of you; but in the 'Square with content flipping on two axes' that inner process, which is always there, is foregrounded, and we feel as if a new dimension has been opened up for us inside or behind the flat visual shape we are looking at. On top of which, of course, there are parallels with concrete poetry, and there's an element of pure aesthetic pleasure, exploring the geometry of the typeface you're using.

With your piece 'This is not a pixel', the same kind of thing is happening. What we seen on screen us just a red speck. In order to understand the red speck we have to look at the code, and understand that it's instructing the computer to locate the pixel right in the middle of your 'canvas' and turn it red. So it's not a pixel, it's a spot of redness generated by a piece of code. Again there's a reference to other art, namely Magritte's 'Ce n'est pas une pipe', but again it's a digital equivalent: whereas Magritte's painting asks us to recognise that a painting of something is never the same as the thing itself, your piece is reminding us that what appears on-screen never gets there without code and execution of one kind or another. We ignore it most of the time, but it's always there. And again, there's an element of pure aesthetics, exploring the possibilities of what can be done by working with code in this way.

I do like the idea of making an equivalent to this piece by printing it on a t-shirt or sticking a square piece of wood on top of another piece of wood - but I think the meaning of such an equivalent would be quite different. It would be translating something born-digital into the realm of sculpture and DIY (or design, if you did the t-shirt); the code wouldn't actually be executing; it would be one medium commenting ironically on another, rather than an exploration of the digital medium itself.

Edward