From: NetBehaviour <netbehaviour-boun...@lists.netbehaviour.org> on behalf of
Pall Thayer via NetBehaviour <netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 12:56 PM
To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
<netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Cc: Pall Thayer <pallt...@gmail.com>; Edward Picot <julian.les...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] Some things I've been thinking about lately

Hi Edward,

And thanks for the comments on my work. I appreciate it.

The whole point of the qpbd piece, as well as some of the others in that
series, is to get people to try to make sense of the code, regardless of
whether they are programmers or not, in an effort to understand the work.
There's also a circle that simply spins around its own center... obviously, you
don't see that it's rotating unless you read the code.

I like your phrase, "One medium commenting ironically on another" and see quite
a bit of potential in that. What I was initially thinking about was, what if
the running program doesn't do the work justice (as with the almost invisible
red speck). Can I just remove it from the computer and make a "better" version
by, essentially, running the program in my head and make whatever comes out of
that process? But the idea of one medium commenting on another opens it up
more. If I follow that idea, then I'm not necessarily working on a "better"
version of the running program, but rather a "different" version of the running
program. An idea that comes to mind is that I could write a javascript object
that draws random lines on the digital canvas in shades of green. But instead
of presenting the work on a computer, print it on a surface and mount a flower
pot with grass growing in it. Same thing, right? It's an object that draws
lines in shades of green. I'm not sure if it's "better" than the program
running on a computer but it definitely creates an interesting dialog between
the two components.

At any rate, my primary goal with these experiments has always been to try to
get the viewers to have to engage with the code in one way or another and to
try to make sense of it in an effort to make sense of the artwork.

Best r.
Pall

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 12:23 PM Edward Picot via NetBehaviour
<netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org<mailto:netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>>
 wrote:
Pall,

I've really enjoyed this thread, and I've been sitting here scratching my head
trying to think how to express my ideas about it. The piece of yours that I've
been looking at is 'Square with content flipping on two axes', which has got a
q and a p opposite each other, and a d and a b opposite each other, inside a
square, like this:

q p
d b

Every now and again they twitch slightly: and it's only when you read the code,
and reflect on the title of the piece, that you realize they're changing places
every few seconds, either left-to-right or up-to-down, and the slight twitch is
the only outward sign of this, because their symmetry is precise enough for
them to step into one another's positions almost invisibly, almost without a
disturbance. Probably, it occurs to me, the piece would be even more perfect if
the slight twitch could be eliminated: then there would be no outward sign at
all of what was taking place, and the meaning and action of the piece would be
entirely latent, entirely in the mind and understanding of the beholder.

It seems to me that what makes this piece work is that it's exploring the
difference between what we see on screen and what's actually happening inside
or behind that on-screen image, in terms of code and its execution. Ordinarily
when you read a piece of text on a screen you just read the text, as if it were
print on paper; you don't think about the digital process which puts it in
front of you; but in the 'Square with content flipping on two axes' that inner
process, which is always there, is foregrounded, and we feel as if a new
dimension has been opened up for us inside or behind the flat visual shape we
are looking at. On top of which, of course, there are parallels with concrete
poetry, and there's an element of pure aesthetic pleasure, exploring the
geometry of the typeface you're using.

With your piece 'This is not a pixel', the same kind of thing is happening.
What we seen on screen us just a red speck. In order to understand the red
speck we have to look at the code, and understand that it's instructing the
computer to locate the pixel right in the middle of your 'canvas' and turn it
red. So it's not a pixel, it's a spot of redness generated by a piece of code.
Again there's a reference to other art, namely Magritte's 'Ce n'est pas une
pipe', but again it's a digital equivalent: whereas Magritte's painting asks us
to recognise that a painting of something is never the same as the thing
itself, your piece is reminding us that what appears on-screen never gets there
without code and execution of one kind or another. We ignore it most of the
time, but it's always there. And again, there's an element of pure aesthetics,
exploring the possibilities of what can be done by working with code in this
way.

I do like the idea of making an equivalent to this piece by printing it on a
t-shirt or sticking a square piece of wood on top of another piece of wood -
but I think the meaning of such an equivalent would be quite different. It
would be translating something born-digital into the realm of sculpture and DIY
(or design, if you did the t-shirt); the code wouldn't actually be executing;
it would be one medium commenting ironically on another, rather than an
exploration of the digital medium itself.

Edward