Hi Gill,

>Wishing you all the very best as you remember your mum today.
>She sounds like a brilliant woman who did her best in difficult circumstances.

Thank you, she was amazing in many ways, which I'm still pondering about even
now.

>I also grew up on a council estate in the 70s and know how hard life could be.
>I'm so sorry to hear social services took your sister away, that's shocking.
>I really hope you do meet up with her one day.

Yes, some council estates where pretty decent places, however, some of them
have had (and still do) social problems. My two fave books on the subject are
estates by Lyndsey Hanley, and Lisa McKenzie's Getting By: Estates, Class and
Culture in Austerity Britain.

Regarding my sister, when I get the time and energy I will try and find her.

>It's unfortunate that working-class people are still treated as criminals -
>especially
>those fighting for a fair wage and respect for the job they do. Makes my blood
>boil.

Yep, we're all aware how the right-wing press, hedge funders, oligarchs etc are
always supporting Tory fascism, and so many people fall for it sadly. It
effects us in different ways, but makes the world more dangerous and allows the
struggles we currently live under dominate our conversations. For me, the idea
of making art for art's sake was nover gonna happen ;-)

Wishing you well.
Marc

Wishing you well

Marc