Hi Curt,

Thank you for the link to your article, very fascinating reading.
Firstly, I know from our various, past discussions - going back over ten
years now, that we will never agree with each other in full. I see this
as a positive thing, because I have enjoyed the experience of
considering your arguments as well as seeing your artistic vision change
through the years. When moving into the realm closer to what we both
mutually connect with 'as' art, we tend to meet in many interesting and
fruitful places :-)

 > To begin with the agenda of opposing/resisting neolibral capitalism
 > is already to commit to a path that is specifically determined and
 > necessarily exclusive of other possibly more efficacious approaches.

Some would argue that's the part of the point. And perhaps, making a
stand whether it changes things or not; may not, necessarily be the real
essence of the matter. It could be more to do with the possibility of
human beings making that extra little effort in respecting
'humans+things', realities and contexts, beyond one's own immediate sphere.

If we can so readily accept the myth of disempowerment in the face of
neoliberalist massification, why not except another myth, that we can
move on from there and build something else when the larger frameworks
and values that used to support us, are not only broken but decimated?

In contrast to many theories, whether modernist or post-modernist, I
respect the powers of persons as possible creators of value. We may not
need skilled theorists to offer maps of our futures (alone), for we may
get along fine without them, which is obviously contradictory in the
light of me taking on a PhD all of a sudden. yet, just as much as I am
interested in complex, philosophical arguments and ideas; I think that
much cannot be put into words that art has always had a way of doing.

I'm not prescribing an 'idealism'. The fun could be in the discovery of
intuitively appropriating alternative ways in imaginatively engaging in
the subtleties and relationships 'of and between' things. And it's not
about impressing one's peers - it's about briinging to the palette other
materials, content and social context with an ethical understanding
beyond macho top-down noise and cliche art-wank.

I did write some specific responses to your article also, but at present
feel that to do it justice it perhaps needs a more constructive
discussion as a separate thread or entity, another time.

What do you think?

Wishing you well.

marc