Hi Marc,

I agree with the last paragraph of course! On a larger scale, and this is
where despair hits full, here we are in the usa watching the country fall
apart - we're 30th for example in infant mortality, first in health care
costs but way down in quality of life, life-span, etc., 25-30th in terms
of math/science education, filled with hatred of immigrants, Muslims,
Islam, Jews, Blacks, Gays - and all this stuff is growing. And no amount
of protest has changed this - if anything, the republicans, who are most
likely going to win the house of representatives back, have vowed to
repeal the health care bill - which itself offers almost nothing. We're
heading back to the 1930s with a vengeance, only this time we're trillions
of dollars in debt. Things are getting worse and we watch this and no
matter how many marches and petitions, they continue to get worse. It's
like watching the end of Weimar (or something! - I wasn't around) - as far
as art goes, no one pays much attention, there's hardly any funding left,
and soon we'll be reciting the ten commandments just to walk down the
street...

end of rant - I know is is off-topic, but among the artists I know, this
is _always_ the topic, always without solution...

- Alan

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, marc garrett wrote:

> [...]
> >> implementation on arts culture as whole it really would not work;
> >> because people need their own space to experiment and discover their own
> >> creative noise or voices. To suggest everyone becomes the same or reads
> >> from the same song sheet, would be a mono-cultural and self-defeating
> >> experience; very likely stunting individual agency on art-making and its
> >> local, contextual terms.
> >>
> >> So, there needs to be a contemporary body of people or movement engaged
> >> in dealing with these actual questions, specifically.
> >>
> >> A group who is willing to organize a shared (agreed) 'manyfesto' for a
> >> collective practice; for producing alternative art contexts challenging
> >> through its practice the destructive nature of neoliberalism and its
> >> ideals, and influences on our cultures world wide. So far, there have
> >> been small groups and individuals who have done this, but as an art
> >> movement specifically re-evaluating and challenging art culture and the
> >> neoliberalist agenda as its main focus; through ethical reasonings in
> >> order to redefine the mannerisms of art behaviour, with guidelines for
> >> others to discuss, debate, use themselves, as a shared create commons,
> >> is another thing.
> >>
> >> The reason I propose 'manyfesto', instead of manifesto is because, we
> >> need to be 'consciously' aware in our shared decisions in challenging
> >> some of the older more singular modernist (even post-modernist)
> >> languages bit by bit. If we take the 'i' out of manifesto, it feels
> >> actually less 'masculine' originally (from Italian, from manifestare to
> >> manifest). "...maybe we should jointly define the goals ... write some
> >> sort of many-festo as marc garrett would call it" collaboratively user
> >> designed, Armin Medosch. http://www.thenextlayer.org/node/18#comment-7
> >>
> >> Obviously goals would be agreed by consensus, but a manyfesto would be
> >> worked out in order to bring into fruition a focus and direction (even
> >> rules, yes rules) making it easier for individuals and groups to define
> >> their own situations, circumstances and differences, actively
> >> incorporating process as 'critiques' as 'real' palette, material or
> >> 'thoughtful manure' and nourishment in making such works. Such works
> >> need not be technologically informed or based, but more exist in
> >> recognition or through acknowledgement of the guidelines proposed,
> >> shared via the movements own deliberation.
> >>
> >> The movement would of course need its own doubters, critical thinkers,
> >> theorists to act as the consciousness of the collective/movement, but at
> >> the same time there needs to be a consensus and agreement that the work
> >> introduced into the world is from an activist position, and getting it
> >> out there is important and urgent, for all concerned.
> >>
> >> Even though I am equally enthralled in theorizing about various ideas,
> >> much of this excellent, independent, intelligent and
> >> inventive/imaginative discourse can work towards informing a pro-active

==