From: "Alan Sondheim" <sondh...@panix.com>
To: "NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity"
<netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] Angles On Anonymous.

I don't want to justify attitudes in the US and can't speak for Rhizome
for that matter but I do want to say that what's going on here - Wikileaks
is not as important or violent as some of the other things going on. Some
examples - Obama keeping the Bush onslaught on the Environmental
Protection Agency in place; his backing the Bush tax cuts for the rich;
the failure of health-care; the daily dose of ugly racism and ignorance
from the heart of the Republican party; the increase in violent crime (at
least here in NY) and increase in homelessness; the long soup kitchen
lines; the arrogance of the rich and railroading of grass-roots
organizations; the onslaught against immigration and "anchor babies"; the
constant lies and viciousness of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and others; the
constant war in Afghanistan and clandestine wars elsewhere; the ugliness
of a Congress that can't even grant the 9/11 workers decent healthcare;
the hatred of Muslims; the national debt creating an economy tottering on
the brink of chaos; minor things like open season for bear hunting in New
Jersey; the closing of firehouses and other basic care facilities in NYC;
in other words, the unraveling of a fundamental social fabric that allows
folks to think about things like Wikileaks; and this sort of news goes on
daily. We're now 25th in education, 40th in infant mortality; way down in
quality of life indices; 17th or 18th in terms of lifespan; highest by a
factor of 2 or 3 in health-care costs; and so forth. I support Wikileaks
and associated groups; but I worry about suicidal friends, ill friends,
friends in despair more; and this is where a lot of my mental energy goes.
This may not explain anything, but it's the best I can do.

- Alan

==
email archive: http://sondheim.rupamsunyata.org/
webpage http://www.alansondheim.org