Hi Marc

Who has warned you and about whom (in power)? Off-list if you like.

I wonder who in power would be watching us? What do you mean by the
powerful? Do you mean institutional curators, funding agency officers, etc?
They have no meaningful power. Politicians? They have limited power, in so
far as those who manage them (corporate top-dogs and civil service
mandarins) let them stretch their leash. It's those top-dogs and mandarins
that have power - heads of corporations, senior police and intelligence
officers, permanent secretaries at the Home Office who take their orders
from the States and then ensure UK politicians do what they are told.

I can't imagine that "they" are "watching" us. We're below their radar. If
they are I doubt we are doing anything that would raise their eyebrows. A
bit of breast beating in the arts community isn't going to concern them.

At least, let them believe that... ;)

Best

Simon

On 11/12/2010 12:28, "marc garrett" <marc.garr...@furtherfield.org> wrote:
> We have already been warned to stop discussing the current crisis
> regarding cuts and the neoliberlaist situation with our own community,
> by friends who are well connected to others in power, who are watching
> us - and it really feels strange and distressing to know that by openly
> discussing this with you and others, that I may be risking the future of
> our independent, creative and brilliant individuals and groups who are
> part our networked communities...

Simon Biggs
s.bi...@eca.ac.uk  si...@littlepig.org.uk
Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor  edinburgh college of art
http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research in CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/
Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number
SC009201