People are not black-boxes. We are not simple (or even complex) instances of a
class of some kind. OOP's is a very powerful means for creating meaning and
action in machines and artificial systems but as a metaphor for human beingness
it seems too neat to account for the complexity and multi-valent connectivity
that exists between us. We are messy creatures without clear boundaries to
individuate us. Our definition is probably less about things (or objects) than
dynamic relations as flux.

best

Simon

On 30 Dec 2011, at 12:12, Richard Wright wrote:

> "Things, not Objects" - Bruno Latour
>

>> From: marc garrett <marc.garr...@furtherfield.org>
>> Date: 29 December 2011 12:08:56 GMT
>> To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
>> <netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>
>> Subject: [NetBehaviour] OOQ – Object-Oriented-Questions.
>>

>> OOQ – Object-Oriented-Questions.
>>
>> Jussi Parikka
>>
>> I can’t claim that I know too much about object oriented philosophy. It’s
>> often more about my friends or colleagues talking about it, enthusiastically
>> for or against. Indeed, I have been one of those who has at best followed
>> some of the arguments but not really dipped too deeply into the debates –
>> which from early on, formed around specific persons, specific arguments, and
>> a specific way of interacting.
>>
>> Hence, let me just be naïve for a second, and think aloud a couple of
>> questions:
>>
>> -  I wonder if there is a problem with the notion of object in the sense
>> that it still implies paradoxically quite a correlationist, or lets say,
>> human-centred view to the world; is not the talk of “object” something that
>> summons an image of perceptible, clearly lined, even stable entity –
>> something that to human eyes could be thought of as the normal mode of
>> perception. We see objects in the world. Humans, benches, buses, cats,
>> trashcans, gloves, computers, images, and so forth. But what would a cat,
>> bench, bus, trashcan, or a computer “see”, or sense?
>>
>> more...
>> http://jussiparikka.net/2011/12/21/ooq-object-oriented-questions/

Simon Biggs
si...@littlepig.org.uk http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype: