What should object oriented philosophy be about in an age where the
paradigmatic divide between object and subject is a long past station?

To me it appears to be a rather 'subjective' way to connect a 'popular' issue
i.e. programming practices with a vague notion of 'philosophy' and should not
be taken too seriously

Same goes for OOP as the 'only just' way to formalize current programming
techniques as it is just a way among others to 'look' at a certain field of
theoretical approaches to practical problems i.e. optimizing code, for we have
had before 'lineair coding', heuristic coding(spaghetti) and other 'schools' of
best practise

During my training as software engineer early 90ties different -commercialized
and evangelized -methods were accentuated (RUP, Agile a.o.) wheras during my
mathematics and informatics studies - late 70ties, beginning 80ties - more
accent was given to 'result driven' approaches such as assembler/compiler
techniques

Comparing these two, give rise to suspect that whatever is 'a la mode' gets the
most attention and followers, complete with a course/certification industry to
serve the corporate trendy attitude

I never figured out althought on what premisses these paradigma shift were
grounded apart for the gain in 'time to market' and not in anyway based on
scientifically based decisions

BTW have a look at my 'new' FB bashing program (written in js and php):

http://apps.facebook.com/whathef-/

(FB login required)

and have a look at the simple straightforward code, with a nice example of
using recursion in js -

function vote(obj){
setTimeout("vote(obj)", 200), raises/lowers the percentages automatically
}

whereas with the following simple php code snippet the program is able to track
the ip nr's and eventually corresponding domains from every visitor/user:

fwrite($file,$REMOTE_ADDR)

Currently I am working to gather all the public available information about
users/visitors to be logged using the 'Open Graph API' from FB, which by the
way is heavily structured around a object oriented coding 'view'

In the making: a same kind of simple program to mess with the Dow
Jones/Euronext indices, just for the fun of subverting extremely influential
figures

Andreas Maria Jacobs
w: http://www.nictoglobe.com
w: http://burgerwaanzin.nl

On Dec 30, 2011, at 19:23, Pall Thayer <pallt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no question in my mind that object oriented philosophy is
> borne from and related to notions of object oriented programming. If
> we accept that, then it's interesting to see yet another way in which
> computer programming and code-concepts are permeating our contemporary
> culture. However, I'm not quite sure I see the point. It looks like
> they're essentially taking age-old philosophical concepts and
> considerations and putting them in a new wrapper. If nothing else then
> perhaps it will make it easier for programmers to understand some
> philosophical concepts.
>
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Yann Le Guennec <i...@x-arn.org> wrote:
>> very confusing...
>>
>> about the relation (or not) between Object Oriented Philosophy & Object
>> Oriented Programming
>>
>> http://www.bogost.com/blog/objectoriented_p.shtml

>>> There are various different versions of OOP:
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming
>>>
>>> In particular, multimethod-based OOP doesn't require that objects own or
>>> contain the actions that can be performed upon them:
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimethod
>>>
>>> And there are more modern programming paradigms than OOP:
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_paradigms
>>>
>>> OOP is certainly still current in programming, but there are other
>>> programming paradigms that mesh better with the philosophy of
>>> mathematics at least.
>>>
>>> - Rob.
>

> --

Sent from my eXtended BodY