Philipp Teister: the urgent message - Imperica - digital arts and
culture magazine.

Teister has been shaking the tree of art theory for some time. We
covered him some time ago, when he had given his Facebook user account
details to the world. This time, he's doing something which is slightly
more subtle, but also more meaningful.

He sees his work as having an approach of the purist: he finds it
difficult for his work to be accepted as "art”. Although it can be
viewed as satire, as social commentary, his reasons for doing what he
does are much deeper. It is, as he refers to it during our conversation,
something of a mission. “I just create the story. What you make of it is
yours. That's what I love to do. It's hard to be an 'artist', as that is
perceived to be something totally different.”

His new work, Binlover, first surfaced in 2011. It was developed on the
back of the ubiquitous and impenetrable Stuxnet worm, which found its
way into telemetric devices of all kinds, including nuclear power
stations. At the same time, a friend visited from Nairobi, telling him
about African Maximalism. From there, Teister came up with the idea of
harvesting the contents of a computer's trashcan and combining it with
the story of an agent to produce Binlover. Its development was supported
by Rotterdam-based independent art organisation Moddr which, at the
time, was facing financial challenges as “... the neoliberal wankers
started to shut down all of the independent art spaces. Those places
don't really exist any more.”

http://www.imperica.com/en/news/philipp-teister-the-urgent-message