Games Reflexions | Isabelle Arvers interviewed by Regine Debatty

How much does the practice of video games affect our imagination? Are
video games shaping our perception of reality or is it our perception of
reality that shapes the imagination behind video games?

On the one hand, the move from 2D image to 3D image in video games has
accelerated the race to ultra-realism. Ironically, reality has been lost
in the process. By striving to mimic reality, 3D images become hyper
realistic, they are slick and clean to the point of looking almost
unreal. A game supposed to reflect life ends up proposing only a
constructed reflect of life. This reflection, in turn, influences the
way we see and imagine our surrounding.

On the other hand, we've been observing a revival of pixelated, ASCII,
Cubist or simply geometric games. They give more room for imagination
and reflection, as if the mind could fill the spaces between the pixels,
the voids, the geometric shapes.

more...
http://we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2013/10/games-reflexions.php