On Wed, 4 Mar, 2015 at 7:28 AM, helen varley jamieson <he...@creative-catalyst.com> wrote:
the future will indeed choose what is important to preserve,

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/6089/the-art-of-fiction-no-211-william-gibson

"In my lifetime I’ve been able to watch completely different narratives of history emerge. The history now of what World War II was about and how it actually took place is radically different from the history I was taught in elementary school. If you read the Victorians writing about themselves, they’re describing something that never existed. The Victorians didn’t think of themselves as sexually repressed, and they didn’t think of themselves as racist. They didn’t think of themselves as colonialists. They thought of themselves as the crown of creation.

Of course, we might be Victorians, too."

& i prefer to put my energies into making work rather than trying to anticipate what might happen in the future. but that of course means that it's up to those who have the power in the future to make decisions about what's worth preserving, & we know that this will probably exclude many marginalised groups. as most of us on this list are operating outside of mainstream arts structures & academies, it's likely that most of us will be quietly forgotten. that doesn't matter to me personally, but i do believe it will matter to those in the future who need to know alternative histories, just as many of us have needed to hunt out our own alternative pasts.

I do wonder what my life would be like if I was better at schmoozing, or at least at advertising. But then I'd have less time to make art...