@Michael >>>>> "It also characterises much of my experience of lists from
about 2000 onwardsŠ And to my dismay it doesn't seem to be happening here
to anything like the extent I'd thought it might. And I wonder why.²

Michael, you perfectly expressed the dilemma of increasing complexity and
overabundance in current day digital communications. As a result, there must
always be, in my opinion, a strategy that meets the needs of the times. The
1990s was a special time for lists because they were new, and we weren¹t
inundated with email, social media, text messaging, etc., as we are today.
Nowadays, it is a heroic feat to keep up with one¹s communications and I am
always surprised how the mailing lists continue to survive because who has
time for all this anymore? In terms of our ongoing critique of net
behaviors, certainly we have to take into account the sheer information
overload we experience each and every day as we attempt to feed each other
every single minute detail of our everyday lives, and in the case of the
lists, our artwork and research as well. That is why a list-driven DIWO call
is a heavy proposition when we are literally drowning in information. We are
hanging on for dear life to keep up so is it no wonder that responses may go
from sparse to non-existent. I also find that people don¹t even read their
email anymore, they scan it and toss it and reply as tersely as possible.

So my conclusion here is that perhaps we need to propose new and evolving
DIWO strategies if we really want to ³do it with others² via email lists in
the age of overload.

Randall