One need only look back at the history of the 20th century avant-garde: from
the Surrealists to Fluxus to Chance to see the broad range of ways in which
collaborative processes can be structured or not. There are no absolutes:
rules or no rules, it depends on the context, the medium, the participants,
a host of things, there are so many different ways to activate socially
engaged DIWO systems of networked art-making. The Surrealists exquisite
corpse is a case in point:

Exquisite corpse, also known as exquisite cadaver (from the original French
term cadavre exquis) or rotating corpse, is a method by which a collection
of words or images is collectively assembled. Each collaborator adds to a
composition in sequence, either by following a rule (e.g. "The adjective
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjective>  noun
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun>  adverb
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverb>  verb
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verb>  the adjective noun", as in "The green
duck sweetly sang the dreadful dirge") or by being allowed to see only the
end of what the previous person contributed. ­ Wikipedia

The DIWO concept has rich precedence, including the cutup technique
practiced by William Burroughs and Bryon Gysin; the scripted events composed
by Fluxus artists Yoko Ono, Dick Higgins, Lamont Young; the chance
operations of John Cage, etc. There are a myriad of approaches to draw from
and no single one is right or wrong it just depends on the needs of the
community and the context.

I am curious to know how previous DIWO actions manifested on this list and
what made them successful?