I use linux on my older laptops; it's easy to install; in fact I'm on a Dell netbook now with only 2 gig of ram and it runs fine. One good thing about the OS is that you can install a different one in maybe 15 minutes, so you can tailor the linux distro to your needs. Fwiw, I use linux mint for the most part, lots of terminal stuff.

Good luck with this!

- Alan