From a Free Software point of view, anything with radio communication
involved is hard because the chips that do the communication tend to use
proprietary firmware (they are blobs of code with no source available).

As a phone has at least one more channel of radio communication compared
to a laptop, it's even harder to get an entirely free phone.

Strangely it's often the camera firmware that's the problem though. :-)

My personal laptop has a replacement WiFi chip which does use entirely
free firmware. I'm not sure what I'm going to have to do to ensure that
I'm still using a free system when I get a new laptop soon (this one is
six years old!).

- Rob.