Helen,

Good for you! I agree that Linux is much less deterring than we are generally led to believe. I started by putting it on an old spare computer a few years ago, and since then I've been buying cheap laptops and over-writing the existing Windows operating system with Linux, which always gives me a bit of a transgressive thrill. Apart from anything else you save a fortune in anti-virus fees. I started out with Mandriva Linux - which was probably an odd choice, but I came across a disc for it somewhere - but I now use Ubuntu. Unfortunately Ubuntu 16, which is the one I'm currently using, has some well-documented wireless connectivity problems, so I have to connect to my router via an ethernet cable, not that that's the end of the world. There are some rather lengthy fixes out there, but I haven't got round to trying them yet.

The range and quality of software available for Linux never ceases to amaze me. Libre Office, the Gimp, Audacity, Kdenlive and Inkscape are all wonderful. As for Blender, it's mind-bending to be able to get your hands on a piece of software that powerful for nothing, although it's extremely challenging to learn (I've only scratched the surface). The only thing I genuinely miss is Flash - but Flash in its Adobe incarnation is now so expensive that I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

Edward