On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:40:00 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> AFAICS, with your patches ifconfig shows counts of wifi packets. How
> do I get ethernet packet counts? Will tcpdump wlan0 work on ethernet
> or wifi level?

Ethernet corresponds to 802.3, wifi is 802.11. These are different
standards describing connections over different media. These standards
have different frame formats, different access methods, etc. How can you
get 802.3 (or ethernet) packet from 802.11 device?

The current implementation of ieee80211 as is in ieee80211 branch
contains ugly hack so it works with ethernet frames externally (which
are internally converted to and from 802.11 frames). Because 802.3 and
802.11 have the same format of MAC address, it is somehow possible -
until you get to WDS and similar features. On the other hand, it allows
direct bridging between ethernet and 802.11 network.

One of our patches fixes this so ieee80211 works with 802.11 frames.
This breaks bridging for now (uhm... it isn't change in userspace, is
it?). Later, the 802.11<->802.3 conversion interface will be added to
the bridging code where it logically belongs.

So tcpdump will of course work with 802.11 frames. It understands them
already - try and see :-)

> wlan... there are no other wireless LANs in common use :-).

Actually, I don't really care about it. If you (or anybody else) think
that it is needed, send a patch.

--
Jiri Benc
SUSE Labs