From: Kent Watsen <k...@watsen.net>
Sent: Thursday, 24 March, 2022 00:05
To: Balázs Lengyel <balazs.leng...@ericsson.com>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] Common etag, timestamp on all interfaces
(draft-lindblad-netconf-transaction-id)

I assume that the etag defined in your I-D is the same as the one defined in
Restconf. Does or should your draft include a statement like:
“The etag values maintained by the server are protocol/interface independent.
If requested the same etag values will be visible on all interface including
Restconf, Netconf, CLI etc.”

While it makes sense that a server would use the same values across protocols,
I'm unsure if it's needed and, if we do, if we could state it in a
NETCONF-specific draft.
BALAZS2: I see it as a VERY important advantage of the whole
YANG/Netconf/Restconf ecosystem that the separate protocols (practically
including the CLI and possibly a gui too) are just views of the same central
configuration datastore. So IMO this is important and should be stated.

Restconf also includes timestamps. What was your reason to exclude them from
your I-D ? IMHO if the server maintains timestamps they would be
protocol/interface independent just as etags, so the task is to make them
available on Netconf too (and maybe the CLI).

I agree and have mentioned before.  LastModified either needs to be added, or
justified why not added, to get my adoption support.

Regards Balazs

Kent // contributor