[CC-ing NETCONF, as this discussion (and draft) belongs there.  To whomever
replies to this message, please remove NETMOD from the CC-list.  Thanks!]

Hi Jan,

>> The same rules apply:
>>
>> - ETag is a MUST, LastModified is a MAY
>> - root-node is a MUST, inner-nodes is a MAY
>
> I'm perfectly fine with this. Since we are in agreement maybe I should just
> stop here.

The "rules" mentioned above are what RFC 8040 defines.  The same rules should
apply to the NETCONF equivalent.   Which is to say, the draft that defines the
NETCONF-equivalent should define support for both.

> Since I noted that I haven't done a good job at explaining how the ETag
> mechanism works, let me take the example below and explain how this situation
> is avoided using ETags.

<snip/>

Regarding the PROs and CONs of ETag vs LastModified, examples can be
constructed showing each being better in cases.  As protocol-designers, the
choice should be given to deployments.

Kent