On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 4:33 PM Balázs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel=
40ericsson....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> [...]

I strongly support this approach.
It applies to the entire server API, including notifications.
E.g., a client should be able to reuse code for processing NETCONF
notifications,
even if the protocol is RESTCONF or the new YANG-Push over UDP.

The RESTCONF mechanisms adapted from HTTP should be extended to be
protocol-independent.  Our goal should be code to the YANG models, NOT the
protocols.

> Restconf also includes timestamps. What was your reason to exclude them
> from your I-D ? IMHO if the server maintains timestamps they would be
> protocol/interface independent just as etags, so the task is to make them
> available on Netconf too (and maybe the CLI).
>

> I agree and have mentioned before.  LastModified either needs to be added,
> or justified why not added, to get my adoption support.

I agree. They both need to be supported in RESTCONF.
A timestamp can be applied to multiple servers, unlike the ETag values.
Typical usage is for the client to track its own polling timestamps,
and use If-Modified-Since to retrieve data only if needed.
The same timestamp can also be used with If-Unmodified-Since for edits.