Hi Med,

On 1/17/2023 2:46 PM, mohamed.boucad...@orange.com wrote:

If we want to add an IANA link to update RFC 8407, Section 3.9, a couple of remarks:
- It's not clear what "a normative reference with the IANA URL" is.
    Is it https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/yang-parameters.xhtml?     Or is it https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/iana-if-t...@2022-08-24.yang?
    The more precise the later, right?

*//*

*/[Med] None of them. IANA is using dedicated URLs:/*

*/* https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-bgp-l2-encaps/iana-bgp-l2-encaps.xhtml/*

*/* https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-pseudowire-types/iana-pseudowire-types.xhtml/*

*/* https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-bfd-types/iana-bfd-types.xhtml/*

That would work.
We would need
    - to get the guarantee (from IANA) that those URLs are permanent
    - to clearly mention that THIS URL type is required for IETF YANG modules

Regards, Benoit

*//*

    However, the latter, which is a typical example of IANA maintained YANG module does NOT work, as the revision in the URL changes with any IAN update - So this leads to have both RFC and IANA, so https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/yang-parameters.xhtml <https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/yang-parameters.xhtml>+ RFC7224 (in the above example) - Also, we should make more generic for some other SDOs, as IANA is for IETF only.
And the guidelines are followed by others: BBF, IEEE, etc.