> On Jan 13, 2023, at 11:25 AM, Benoit Claise
> <benoit.claise=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom,
>> Yes I do think that people outside the IETF may be ignorant of the nuances
>> of the way the IETF works and  may not realise that a URL to the IANA
>> website must be used in preference to an RFC.  There is more to YANG modules
>> than extracting the code from somewhere in order to incorporate it into
>> something.  I have even seen RFC reference the obsolete list of
>> possibilities  in the RFC that set up an IANA registry
> If this is the case (And Randy supports this), then we should update RFC 8047.

Agreed - as a hold for document update?

Currently RFC 8407, Section 3.9 says:

   For every import or include statement that appears in a module
   contained in the specification that identifies a module in a separate
   document, a corresponding normative reference to that document MUST
   appear in the Normative References section.  The reference MUST
   correspond to the specific module version actually used within the
   specification.

Want to take a swing at it?

K.