Specifically regarding MUST statements on state date, RFC 8342 section 5.3,
also has this statement (which effectively aligns to Jürgen's last paragraph):

   <operational> SHOULD conform to any constraints specified in the data
   model, but given the principal aim of returning "in use" values, it
   is possible that constraints MAY be violated under some circumstances
   (e.g., an abnormal value is "in use", the structure of a list is
   being modified, or remnant configuration (see Section 5.3.1) still
   exists).  Note that deviations SHOULD be used when it is known in
   advance that a device does not fully conform to the <operational>
   schema.

   Only semantic constraints MAY be violated.  These are the YANG
   "when", "must", "mandatory", "unique", "min-elements", and
   "max-elements" statements; and the uniqueness of key values.

   Syntactic constraints MUST NOT be violated, including hierarchical
   organization, identifiers, and type-based constraints.  If a node in
   <operational> does not meet the syntactic constraints, then it
   MUST NOT be returned, and some other mechanism should be used to flag
   the error.

Regards,
Rob