On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:57:18 +0000 (GMT)
Tim Hill <t...@timil.com> wrote:

> Dare I say that I passed the phone bill though a CSS validator which
> came up with many "You must put an unit after your number" (two for
> each positioning element 'top' and 'left'in each page). But I know
> I'll be told Validators are crap and a waste of time, irrelevant, and
> should all be expunged so I'll shut up soon.

No, but they should be completely ignored from the point of view of if
it is acceptable for a web browser to incorrectly render them.  (Opera
recently did a survey that showed that less than 0.5% of websites have
valid HTML; they don't have numbers for CSS.  Only being able to render
0.5% of the web is not useful, and even then NetSurf will have bugs
that means the correct ones won't render properly anyway.  So yes, from
the point of view of web browser development, the less they are
mentioned the better.)

> Putting 'px' after each occurrence should render the page
> correctly. And does.
>
> Should (does) NS assume pixels, points or parsecs when no units are
> present?

There was some recent work to do this, but I don't recall off hand if
it was towards our new CSS parser, or a patch to the old one (which we
are currently still using, as the new parser is not ready yet.)