In article <adbc5fa551.r...@user.minijem.plus.com>,
   Richard Porter <r...@minijem.plus.com> wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2011 Michael Drake  wrote:

> > Restart NetSurf, open a browser window and resize it vertically so only
> > the toolbar is showing.

> For the first test (thumbnail index) the time is around 6.7s (as
> opposed to 29.1s for a full height window)

OK, so the reason for this is the viewfinder / vpod.  On your system,
actually plotting the page to the screen is expensive (as all the data
needs to be transferred across to the podule).  Reflowing the page wasn't
taking long at all.

However, reflowing the page made redrawing the entire window necessary.
I've just made a change that should reduce the amount of document
reflowing we do, and therefore the amount of plotting to screen.

Please try r12243.

I'd be interested to know the speeds you get for your test page with:

  A. pre-r12243 with "incremental_reflow" set to 1 (on)
  B.     r12243 with "incremental_reflow" set to 1 (on)
  C.     r12243 with "incremental_reflow" set to 0 (off)

all with the same, full, window size if possible.

The test page was:
http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?,b=MM,v=display,m=1296606335,s=4,highlight=#num4

Cheers,

--