In message <20150505103028.gg19...@kyllikki.org>
 on 5 May 2015 Vincent Sanders <vi...@netsurf-browser.org> wrote:

> Further to my previous efforts I have made an attempt to improve the
> disc cache performance even more. I would again be grateful if
> suitably interested users could try test CI build 2771 or later.

> The previous changes switched to using a small number of large files
> to hold all the "small" entries within the cache instead of them using
> individual files. This drastically improved the cache performance on
> several RISC OS machines.

> The new update extended this approach so that these block files get
> created with their maximum size instead of being grown every time a
> new cache entry is added.

> This change should be beneficial to RISC OS users as filecore is
> (apparently) dreadful at this kind of usage pattern.

> I have also adjusted how the computation of low bandwidth is made to
> try and make it more stable and less "trigger happy".

> I would be interested in getting the details from using the updated
> test release in the same way as previously detailed. (The overall
> bandwidth message from the log)

> I am especially interested in testing from the Iyonix as this was
> right on the edge of usefulness previously. It is probably not worth
> bothering with the RPi and ARM mini platforms as their reported
> bandwidth last time was awful and I do not envisage an improvement of
> that many orders of magnitude.

As you expected, no benefit for ARMini users:
ARMini with RO 5.20 (10 June 2013) and !Boot on the SD card, not the
USB drive.  NS #2771

There was no complaint about the bandwidth being too low but the
reported average from going only to the www.buxtonweather.co.uk site
was 27269 bytes/second.  The previous figure I reported was 33092
bytes/second (NS#2697).

Regards

Andrew
--