Greetings:

Ok, I bought, from a linux systems distributor, a linux-compatible 56K
modem and a SoundBlaster AWE64 soundcard. I cannot get either to work
with Mandrake up to now.

Modem: My computer manufacturer had disabled COM2; from the BIPS setup, I
reenabled it; dmesg gives me
-----
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
-----
The modem works fine in W95 (again, it is not a WinModem)  but in Linux
the kppp "Query Modem" command finds the modem and says "Sorry, modem
does not respond". What could be wrong?

Sound: I ran sndconfig but it failed to set up sound (although my card is
listed in the soundcard list). I tried again and sndconfig would just
freeze, forcing me to have to kill kvt. This happened a number of times.
dmesg gives me
------
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: dsp reset failed.
AWE32: not detected
------
My old RedHat 5.o Installation guide Advice, please!

Thank you in advance
Idris