For some odd reason these steps have worked for me and my machine setup.

make sure your in your home directory,  /home/you

 type   pico .xinitrc
 type in the line of     wmaker
   hit control x to save and exit.

Then      locate  wmaker
the last line should be    /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker.inst
 execute that line and it should run through a setup for window maker.
when it's done it will ask you to create a file  so type in  .xinitrc

 That should complete the process.

 Just type in  startx  and windowmaker should start.

pj